For anyone who wants to learn more (I love you), below are some suggestions. They’ve helped me along the way in learning about sensitive skin acne.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through & make a purchase.
All opinions are honest + my own. All products are put through a 2 week test period conducted on myself.
The Skincare Bible: Your No-Nonsense Guide to Great Skin by Dr. Anjali Mahto
Sensitive Skin Learning by Topic
On the Skin Barrier + the Acid Mantle
Stuff about our skin barrier’s function + how it’s an awesome help for glowy, healthy skin.
- “Why Hot Showers Are Bad for Skin” from Allure with contributions from dermatologists Dr. Shari Marchbein + Dr. Dhaval G. Bhanusali
Skin Barrier Function — Deep Dives
- Impaired Skin Integrity in the Elderly (to me, this reads: “when skin barrier function is faulty, this is what’s up.”)
On Skincare Ingredients, How Skin Works, And Other Stuff:
- “Moisturizers: Do they work?” a Health Letter from Harvard Medical School
- “What Are Emollients?” from the Blog of Dr. Leslie Baumann
- “Humectants: What Are They?” from Beautiful with Brains
- “SLS and Sulphates – The Known Irritant in your Entire Beauty Regime” from Get the Gloss
- “Oils Rich in Linoleic Acid” from News Medical
On Adjusting Acne Treatments for Sensitive Skin Acne
- “How Your Acne Treatments Could Be Making Your Breakouts Worse” from Teen Vogue, with contributions from Dr. Sejal Shah
- “The Benefits of Sulfur for Acne-Prone Skin” from Skincare.com with contributions from Dr. Dhaval Bhanusali
On Skin Types + Adjusting Skin Care by Skin Type (Dry, Combination, Oily)
- “Face Oil for Oily Skin: What to Use and What to Avoid” by Glamour with contributions from dermatologist Dr. Debra Jaliman + aesthetician Nerida Joy.
- “4 Worst Things You Can Do to Oily Skin” by Bustle with contribution from dermatologist Dr. Deirdre Hooper
- “What Is “Normal” Skin Exactly, and Does Anyone Really Have It?” by Byrdie with contributions from dermatologist Dr. Loretta Ciraldo
- “Ask an Esthetician: The Perfect Regimen For Your Skin Type” by Byrdie with contribution from esthetician Renée Rouleau
- “Top 6 Remedies for Dry Skin on the Face” by Medical News Today
On Names for Different Types of Pimples (with Pictures)
“11 Skin Bumps That Look Like Pimples But Aren’t” by Insider with contributions from dermatologists Dr. Heather Downes, Dr. Susan Bard, Dr. Jerome Potozkin, and Dr. Debra Jaliman as well as Dr. Hardik Soni.
On Fungal Acne (aka Malassezia folliculitis)
Fungal Acne Engine by Sezia -> Insert Ingredient List to Test for Fungal Acne Safety
The most comprehensive fungal acne guide I’ve found to date: “The Fungal Acne Treatment Bible” – Simple Skincare Science
Found + to Be Vetted, But Adding in Case It Helps Somone: Reddit Fungal Acne Approved Product List
Glossaries + Ingredient Research
- A nice little toe-in.
Paula’s Choice Ingredient Glossary (<- linked)
- I haven’t tested Paula’s Choice products, yet, but this list appears useful + well developed.
The Klog (<- linked)
- Fab Low-Bar Ingredient Learning + Korean Beauty Info:
What’s in My Jar (<-linked)
- A fabulous product research engine that teaches you about ingredients as you research potential for irritation + product efficacy.
- Co-founded by dermatologists, including contact dermatitis specialist Dr. Sandy Skotnicki, author of Beyond Soap (who is amazing!).
- (Contact dermatitis = a skin irritation or rash caused by something that touched your skin.)
EU List of Contact Allergies: